Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cat Grass Farming

Our cats enjoy fresh grass to nibble on. I have bought the grass kits and potted grass at the pet store in the past, but it gets expensive after a while and doesn't last long. (At least with our cats)

So I bought a few cute tin containers from a yard sale for a quarter a piece and spray painted them blue and green.


I ordered a pound of hard red wheat seed from Amazon and soaked them for a day to spout before planting. I started the soaking on Sunday.


Watered a few times a day with a spray bottle.



By today, Thursday, it was ready to turn over to discerning Freyja for approval. She approved.


I am started the seed soaking process today on a second planting and might make a third pot later for the rotation, depending how quickly the cats demolish each pot between re-plantings. It was surprising how quickly and easy it was to grow with a little care. Hopefully I can get the rotation timing right, so I can keep a healthy pot out for them most of the time.

Having it around, the cats seem to leave my other house plants alone. I also believe they don't throw up as much when the grass is available to them. It is the same variety people make their wheatgrass juice drinks too, although Freyja may not want to share.

No comments: