Sunday, August 17, 2014

Little Projects

We have been busy with a few little projects around the yard and house lately. One is taking care of some annoying wiring. Zach pulled off sections of the exterior temporarily on the east and west wall of the house to add in outlets in the bedroom, run networking and HDMI cables. 

Another project is reclaiming our creek from overgrowth. We cleared a lot of brush from here this winter with help of my parents. This spring and summer the weeds came back full force. Right beyond the green clump ahead, the creek widens and gets deeper and the weeds disappear.

Clearing our side of the creek along the driveway revealed our sad looking retaining wall. We have some erosion problems in the front yard and sand likes to wash across the driveway. We figure on replacing this retaining wall this winter when it is much cooler. That will help hold the soil in place.

We also cleared the tall shrubs we had between the tall cypress and pine trees along the driveway. We would like to replant with some small shrubs and hostas, but that will happen after the new retaining wall is in place.

We have a large poplar tree in the backyard, just off our deck near the canal. Since it is on a slope the root system is quite unique. We had a small herd of potted plants sitting around the garage since we've moved in. Put both together, and we have a new home for bunch of potted plants. Making that area a small garden negates the tripping hazard. We might put some mulch around it yet.

Monday, August 4, 2014


Little One has a name now, Freyja.  Her middle name is Jo-Jo. :-) (thanks Isaac!)

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Patio Set

We recently rehabbed 4 patio chairs and patio table for a patio set for our back deck. I did a bad job getting before and during pics, but you get the point. :-)

Our next door neighbor was cleaning out his garage and asked if we wanted a free patio table. Of course! It was rusty and faded mint green but no matter to us. We were on the lookout for one. Zachary took it apart and brushed off the rusty bits.

Over the winter, my parents found us a deal on 4 patio chairs at a rummage sale. They were in fairly good shape, just missing seats. So they have been sitting around our backyard waiting for a table. When the table was found, the project was on!

We headed to Jo-Anns to find seat cushions and fabric. We ended up with green canvas that was 50% off and cushion foam was 50% off too. It was our first time doing an upholstery project and it went together real easy. Although ours was simple, I look forward to trying it again with more complicated upholstery projects.

We used Rust-Oleum black hammered finish spray paint on the chairs and the table.

Project complete! I like how it turned out. I also love the fact we didn't spend an arm and a leg for a patio set. With the fabric, foam and paint, we spent about $80. I would like to find an umbrella for it eventually, in case we put it on the non-covered part of the deck.