Thursday, June 20, 2013

Creeper Craft

 In my second felting project, I decided to stray from using a kit and come up with something on my own. I was thinking nerdy homage. I settled on Minecraft.

Using wool from our own sheep we had a couple years ago that I had cleaned and carded into batts, I felted the wool into bases for all the shapes I was going to need. Taking something that is so light and airy and reducing it tight woven blocks takes some time. Besides the occasional needle poke, it was a relaxing activity to do while watching Netflix. Zachary even partook in the needling at times.

After getting the bases in the right shape and size, I bought dyed wool at the craft store. I felted on thin layers around the blocks. I picked the multicolored wool for the Creeper bodies to simulate their pixelated green skin. Once I had the idea of making one Creeper, it evolved into a Creeper family with a pet pig of course.

Why a Fez? Because Fezzes are cool.
We gave the baby Creeper a non-traditional happy face. Maybe baby Creepers are born happy-go-lucky, before they develop their explosive personality?


The pig's tail is my favorite
Next felting project? Hmmm... still pondering.

No comments: