Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pandacraft

 This week I started on a craft project from a kit I picked from The Wayfarer's Whimsy at the Bristol Renaissance Faire over a year ago. I lost track of the kit when we moved to Wausau a year ago and when we were unpacking from moving to FL, I found it again. It was in a big bag of stuffed animals. How it got in there, no idea.
 Felting is process of using needles with tiny notches in them to "felt" wool together, sculpting/shaping it in just about anyway you want it. The kit came with 2 balls of carded wool, 2 needles, and a pre-made wool armature body. Essentially you take strips or rolls of wool and poke it repeatedly until its attached, creating a tightly woven bond that can not be pulled apart.
I found it very relaxing, a nice way to unwind in the evening after work. Besides the occasional finger prick with the needle.
 It was surprising how easy it is to sculpt wool and have it retain its shape. My mind was already thinking ahead on what other subjects would be fun to create with wool felting.
Watching old X-Files episodes while felting is an added bonus
 Just about done.
Lvl 1 Panda Monk
 Finished. Adding the little white sparkle eye highlight was quite tedious. I think I pulled it out 6 times and started over to try to get them balanced enough. I think he needed it, otherwise he would have been too bug eyed.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hmm...that's really interesting. I think you should have a picture of the panda with warcraft in the background. That's were I expected you to go with the post.

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Hehe, yeah I was considering it. The panda is already parked on my desk. I think the wool panda and the pixel panda will meet sometime soon. :-)